Environmentalist Pravin Mishra organized an urban harvesting and domestic waste management workshop in his Burari farm in Delhi on Sunday 7th February 2021.
Treatment of organic waste is need of an hour and it’s high time to start it at our domestic settings and stop flowing it into the garbage dumpsite or landfill.
At Mission Green Delhi community platform, our 400+ community members have got the chance to learn manufacturing of Vermicompost from our experts like Pravin Mishra who have been doing terrace gardening and composting workshops at various parts of Delhi. Vermicompost can boost our efforts put for small scale sustainable, organic farming.
Vermicompost is used as nutrient-rich manure, organic fertilizer, and soil conditioner. It is produced by decomposing vegetable organic waste or food waste along with bedding material to get simpler organic compounds using various microorganisms like earthworms or red worms.
Please ensure you are aware of below things before buying Vermicompost for your terrace garden:
- Vermi compost should not be adulterated with river sand or red soil, coco peat to gain product weight. The compost should be pure which should not cause root rotting and fungal growth in plants. Customer needs to ensure if it should not be only potting mix while making a purchase.
- It’s better to check with the local nursery instead of ordering it online. Local nurseries could provide it around Rs.35 per kg. If you want to order in online please check the reviews and refund policy in case the product is adulterated.
- Please ensure the supplier should have packed the product properly and wet mud or stones shouldn’t be added to gain weight.
- The product shouldn’t smell like cow dung
- It’s important to check the delivered compost and take an expert advise before putting it on all garden plants. The snails or worms present in the compost could impact your plants in negative manner.
- If are new to Vermi compost, it’s important to understand the difference between vermi, soil, sand and compost.
If you are interested in organizing Vermi Composting & Terrace Gardening workshop at your home or any other location, please Whatsapp us at +919910162399 or visit www.missiongreendelhi.com. It’s better to understand the process with a domain expert before putting money into some composting product online.
Green Talk was organized by Environmentalist Pravin Mishra on Sunday, 20th December at Harit Bagwani Nursery, Burari. Along with a scenic view of Nilgai at his farm in Delhi, participants also enjoyed Bihar special Dahi Chivda, a popular desi food. The number of participants had been kept limited for maintaining social distancing and hygiene.
Watch full video of Green Talk.